Twenty years ago, my mother-in-law introduced me to the concept of the veggie sandwich and I was amazed how deliciously satisfying it was! She put a light layer of mayo on it, my girls like homemade hummus but my husband and I prefer a sun dried tomato goat cheese spread.
Makes: 4-6 Sandwiches
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees (204 C).
2. Place 2 washed medium, sweet potatoes in oven safe dish, pierce a few holes in top with fork, and bake for about 45 minutes (depending on size). They are done when a knife inserted passes through skin smoothly. Remove from dish and allow to cool on wooden cutting board.
3. While oven heats up, create goat cheese spread by combining 4 ounces (.1 kg) cream cheese at room temperature (St. Moret cheese or kiri cheese will work as well ), with 2 tablespoons finely chopped sun dried tomatoes in olive oil (room temperature). Using a firm spatula mix (smear) the two together until the cheese turns a pale peach in color. Place in dish, cover and refrigerate.
4. When potatoes are almost ready...
Assemble: put cream cheese spread on one slice of wheat bread, a slice of provolone or favorite cheese (optional), thinly sliced sweet white onion, purple cabbage, sweet red pepper and cucumbers, slices of sweet potatoes, spinach and watercress leaves (any greens), thin avocado slices (optional), and top with bean sprouts, alfalfa or broccoli sprouts. Top with wheat bread slice and enjoy!
5. Tip: Fill soiled baking dish with boiling water before meal and let sit for easy clean up after meal.